Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In a Nut Shell...

We are home, loving every minute of it...and wishing we could get just a little more sleep. Chase is doing fantastic, Lily LoVeS him and can't wait until he can play with her. Chase is the spitting image of his father and I can't be more happy about that! I fell in love with the man and can't wait to see our little boy grow up to look just like his daddy.

I know some of you have been waiting for the birth story. Ha! Well, let me tell you, I have a story. AND mind you this story comes after a first child that was induced with lots of drugs and I really couldn't complain about the whole experience, i.e. I felt nothing :) and I was pretty happy about that.

Here is what happened in Chronological Order:

Monday, April 19th @1:00 p.m. : Dale becomes a Company Commander and Lily and I attend his Change of Command Ceremony.

Monday, April 19th@ 6:00 p.m. : We went to Olive Garden. I felt like the baby could be coming soon and was a little uncomfortable. But, we went on to finish our dinner and nightly Lily routine of bath, books and then bed (not knowing this would be the last night she was going to be our only munchkin.

Monday, April 19th @ 10:00 p.m. : Dale and I went to sleep like normal. My stomach felt a little uncomfortable, but whose doesn't at 39 1/2 weeks pregnant?!?

Monday, April 19th-20th @ 11:00p.m. -1:00 a.m. : I try to sleep but think I might be having contractions, but I they didn't really hurt and I was waiting to feel the all over my stomach hurt that the doctor had talked about. (I was not going to be the girl that went to the hospital and they had to send home!)

Monday, April 20th, 1:00 a.m. : Me: "Dale can I have your watch?" Dale: Yeah, here it is and this is the button to press for the light" ~He then rolls over like me asking for a watch in the middle of the night is normal.

Monday, April 20th, 1:30 a.m. : Me: (wandering around the room putting things in my bag) "Dale if you haven't packed a bag, you might want to." ~Dale promptly rolls over and says okay then goes back to sleep.

Monday, April 20th, 2:00 a.m. : Me: I think we should go to the hospital. My contractions are really close and I don't really know how to time them. They are really uncomfortable now and Ouch! I then call my sweet neighbor Amy, who comes over to my house and lets Lily continue to sleep. Then call my parents, Dale's parents and Brandy and let them know we are going to the hospital and text everyone else to let them know we are headed out. We leave at 2:30 (we live a mile away).

Okay and here is where I make a long story short.

We had Baby Chase by 3:27 a.m.! Yes, I said it 3:27!

At 2:45 The nurse put us in a room to "monitor" my contraction for 30 minutes ( I was 6 centimeters). Ha! she was back in 5 and wheeling me into a delivery room. I then asked for an epidural and how long it would take me to get one. The nurse smiled and ignored me. Hmmm....I thought to myself, this can't be good. I then said I had to go to the restroom and she said, How about I finish asking you these questions and getting your blood work. HMMMM...this really can't be good. Me: She must think this baby is coming soon. I then asked like a crack whore: "Do you think you can give me something to take the edge off?" Nurse: No, that would be giving you a narcotic and it would go straight to the baby. Me: MELT DOWN!!! I cried...like a baby in between painful contractions. My water broke! I cried some more, knowing what was about to be in store! I watch a Baby Story for heaven's sake!

Nurse checks me again and I am 10 centimeters and ready to go. I politely ask her to remove her hand from my lower region because it doesn't feel good! :) Then she proceeds to try and place the fetal heart monitor back on my stomach and I think I might of slapped her hand! Who needs someone jamming things into your stomach when you are having massive contractions without pain killers? She pushes the button to call the PA (Nurse Midwife) and says WE ARE READY TO HAVE A BABY!
Me: still crying and telling them I can't do this! Nurse:You have to pull yourself together, we are about to have a baby. Obviously, I had a mouse in my pocket! 2 1/2 pushes later @ 3:27 a.m. Sweet Baby Chase was born! No drugs, no doctor, just me, Dale and I am pretty sure a scared nurse! Ha!
(I would put more pictures up, but I am having technical difficulties.)
I am going to update my picture a day blog so you can see some pics there!


5 comments:

  1. Omg that is the most insane story! Congrats on it all going so quickly and doing it without drugs! I want the direct line to the guy with the epidural when I get admitted haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great story!!! I had mine without drugs too and I remember thinking the same things:)I told Henry I would not be able to do it!! I was already 9 centimeters and had not been there but 30 min! During the night my water broke,I changed the sheets, took a shower, packed my bag and stopped at the store for gas and gum!! After I delivered, my doctor said she never knew I was not given an epidural!! The whole time I was thinking I am not gonna cry or scream like they do on a Baby Story!!! I am so happy for you, it sounds like you are adjusting just fine:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha Liza! I did not scream, but I sure did cry for about a minute, until the nurse told me to pull it together. I didn't have long to freak out soooo, I would say it wasn't too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congrats on getting through the labor! At least it went quick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather! A great story....one you'll never forget! I had all three of my babies 'a la natural'. It's painful but do-able and you feel pretty darn good when it's over. Anyway so proud you made it through and you and baby weren't drugged up. Cant' wait to see more pic's. He is so cute!

    I also wanted to make sure you got your geranium painting. I know you've been way busy and just thought I'd check.

    Enjoy each day...
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete