Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Hurrication is Over!

I know I have my bouts of being a pessimist but I was really trying to be the optimist with this whole Ike situation. Well, I think I chose the wrong road this time. My house is a lot worse that I thought it was. I thought oh they will replace the insulation where it got rained on and the builders will put up a couple new pieces of sheet rock and we will be great.

I think reality hit me today when I tried to change a light bulb that had gone out in the master closet. Now, I thought it was making a funny noise but I figured, hmmm, it just wants to take its time going out now doesn't it. Actually I think the light bulb was planning my electrocution. I didn't get electrocuted but as I was unscrewing the small cheap bowl light and a gush of rancid water poured on me.The fixture was full of water and I was completely oblivious that the light bulb had been swimming in the fixture for six days (at least)!

Minutes later the third contractor came by to take measurements and give me an estimate. Note, I thought the first contractor was blowing this whole mold, tear down the walls thing out of proportion...until I met Yvette. When she asked me if I could move out for a while I almost started bawling... for the second time today. Move out? why? As she walked through the house she asked if I could smell the overwhelming stench of mold. Me: "No, I just smell it in the laundry room. Yvette: "It really hits you when you walk in the door." Thanks...I now feel like the people I watch on Animal Cops who live in squallor and have no clue. I will blame my cluelessness on the Glade Plugin.

Now, I am waiting for the insurance company to give me a dollar value on my mess and I am ready to battle. The multiple contractors think I need a new roof, all new insulation, a new laundry room, at least a new wall and ceiling in the master closet, and most likely a whole new ceiling throughout my entryway, kitchen, breakfast area and living room. WELCOME HOME DALE!

Let us be thankful for the blessings in our lives. I have the Bug, my sweet husband (who is on constant pep talk mode), and my great friends and family.


Funny story: Lily takes her Daddy Doll to school with her everyday so she can take naps with him. Yesterday, as the teacher was patting her back, she decided she needed to pat Daddy. She covered him with her extra blanket and told him, "night night Daddy" and patted his back until she fell asleep. Her teachers were nice enough to take a picture for us but they haven't developed it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment